Recounting Elder Friedmann's Adventures in the Alpine German-Speaking Mission

Freitag, 5. Juli 2013

Tender Mercies: Medical & Dental

Doctor's appointments have something scary about them. It runs within my family. For as long as I can remember, my Dad has never seen a doctor and my Mom is close to being tied with him (except for the like two times she almost died...). They both get sick but neither is comfortable with the presence of a doctor. So...I assume one cannot run away from their DNA ;)

I scheduled my medical and my dental right after talking to my Bishop about my papers. You need to understand that Germany is NOT like Utah. With everyone being insured over here, urgency is the only measurement for how quickly one gets an appointment. And going on a Mission is a really, really strange thing and has the lowest urgency anyone could ever think of. That's what I thought at least.

However, to my surprise, it was quite easy to get an appointment scheduled. From memory, here is my conversation with my doctor's receptionist:

- What can I do for you?
- Well...I need a medical check-up. Just some general things...
- How old are you?
- 19, gonna be 20 next month.
- Sir, I'm sorry, but we don't do this kind of thing for people under 30.
- I need it though. I am preparing to be a Missionary for my Church for the next two years, and I need a medical for my application. (by that time I was expecting one of the receptionists to pull out a hammer and go for my head)
- excitedly: Oh, I understand! Where are you going?
- Well, to be honest, I will not know until after this medical.
- How is that possible? Well, what needs to be done?

I showed her my papers and she told me to wait for the doctor to arrive. Five minutes later, he came and asked me what kind of medical problems I had. I was perfectly healthy and went through yet another round of explanation. Well, I tried. He interrupted me and asked if I know one of his collegues. Needless to say, that collegue is in my Bishopric! It's just crazy how small the world is. Anyways, he just checked me through the next day (perfectly healthy, that is!) and I left the papers with him and he filled them out. All that was necessary beyond that was testing my blood group, which he told me would be a good three week wait. Now, that's a problem.

Right after scheduling my doctor's appointment, I went to see my dentist for the dental appointment. The receptionist also asked a ton of questions but she was just the NICEST and most kind person in the universe. I kid not. Anyone scared of going to the dentist at this place must be crazy...She said that the only available appointment within the next two months was two weeks later (because someone had just cancelled in that slot). So, I accepted and figured it would be no problem at all.

Fast forward to the day before my dental. I was just frightened. haha my doctor said that once the bill for the blood group test is sent to my home, the results are there and my papers would be ready to pick up. My dental was on Friday. It was Thursday afternoon, one week prior to when my doctor expected the blood group test results, and guess what...THE BILL CAME IN THE MAIL. Just like that! Miracles happen :) I went to pick up my papers at the doctor's office right before going over to the dentist.

So, I must say that my dental habits are not as lazy as my regular doctor-going habits. I really do go to the dentist every year for check-ups, and the check-up last year was...a partial disaster. My dentist told me I would need to start flushing or my teeth would fall out in ten years. And I did not flush ONCE this past year (probably not very clever of me). So, I guess I was scared. I just sat down in the chair and my dentist started the check, just going like "Oh, those look great!" and "Fantastic!" and "There's not even a little bit of tartar on them!". I was sure that she had been kidding but I guess she didn't. Really, after half an hour she said that all was fine! I was amazed :) She filled out my papers and then stumbled over the wisdom teeth part. She then asked me (cause she had seen my x-rays): Oh, and when were your wisdom teeth removed?

I told her that they had never been removed. She looked at me in surprise and told me that I didn't have wisdom teeth at all. Like, not only that they were unlikely to ever make trouble, but simply that my wisdom teeth DID NOT EXIST. She also said that the odds for that were like one in 500 so I guess I'm special :)

I just took my papers with me when I was done and it was all good :) Ready to go right here!! :D

Just writing this post has shown me once again how true 1Nephi 3:7 is! There is a way for those who seek to obey! I know that I've been so greatly blessed just for my desire and preparation to serve that this has been made possible to me. I love God! :) And I know that this Church and this Missionary program is indeed HIS work and not the work of men! :)

Love y'all! :)

-- Pascal
   

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen