Recounting Elder Friedmann's Adventures in the Alpine German-Speaking Mission

Freitag, 13. Dezember 2013

The Dawning of a Brighter Day :)

Friends! :)

I have the best excuse EVER for not blogging in over a month. I fully immersed myself into my schooling. Now, it was not necessarily successful (i.e., there probably wouldn`t have been much of a difference had I had a social life over the past month) but still, I am proud of myself and of my level of commitment.

What`s new, you may ask? First and foremost, I would like to thank more than 1,000 people for visiting my blog! I just logged into the admin pane for the first time in forever, and this statistic just blew my mind :) You guys are awesome! :) That includes you, dear random strangers, and also all future Missionaries who I have yet to meet. This blog-stalking phase before and after getting my call when I just googled random Missionary blogs from everywhere...yup. I`m not alone with it! :) That is true relief right here. This is quite big for me, indeed.

Second, my farewell is this Sunday! Three months before I leave (this is probably record-breaking). It`s my last Sunday in Utah before flying home to Germany for some family-time. And since I have nothing scheduled for a German farewell yet, this is gonna be my farewell. My talk has been written for about two weeks now and I feel very prepared and ready to give it :) I`m also speaking with Cectpa Fullmer...what a great opportunity! She is amazing and I couldn`t wish for a better co-farewell speaker. She`s truly gonna be rocking it in Siberia... :) My talk will be on hope, quite an essential trait for someone serving a Mission in central Europe (BUT it works! See below!). All are invited. Ogden LDS Institute Chapel, this Sunday at 10:50 a.m. :)

Third, school is done. Wherefore I`m blogging again. And I do indeed have my Associates Degree. :)

Fourth, I got my flight data. And here it comes. I`m flying out on March 20, early in the morning. No surprise right here. BUT now on to something shocking. From Cologne, I am not flying straight to Manchester, as I had previously expected. I am flying to MUNICH instead. And then to Manchester. How many people can seriously say about themselves that they flew into the city with their Mission home before going to the MTC? I am flattered. But then again, this leaves us with a regular round trip flight from Munich to Manchester to Munich. Which is probably cheaper for the Church than doing it the fancy way :) I`ll be in the field for good on April 2. Just FYI.

Fifth, I want to make this post at least a little bit spiritual, in that I want to say how much I love baptisms and how much I love to see people change their lives prior and after. Actually, the Savior has His hands in this big time. However, that shouldn`t discredit the effort that each convert (young or old) makes in their life to change and to emulate the life of Jesus Christ, and to adapt those principles to themselves. I loved having the opportunity to witness two wonderful baptismal services this past week here in Ogden. The Spirit was so beautiful and strong and many people showed up even though there was actually a blizzard going on outside.

Now, what do baptisms look like in Europe? The same. It`s the same Spirit, commitment and Priesthood authority involved. I joined the Church in this very place and I have gotten enough of a sense for the nature of Missionary work there. It`s not easy, at all, but if you are a preparing Missionary called to serve in western Europe (maybe even the Alpine German-Speaking Mission), I can testify to you that baptisms, miracles, reactivations and many other things happen here, just as elsewhere. For example, the Germany Frankfurt Mission (the Mission just north of us) is likely going to baptize somewhere between 50 and 60 converts this month! This is quite amazing and reasonably close to many U.S. stateside Missions. And, honestly, nothing will keep this from happening everywhere in Europe pretty soon. We might never be the South America of the 1980s, but there are certainly people everywhere throughout Europe (and probably MILLIONS of them) who have been prepared to receive this Gospel and are only kept from it because they know not where to find it (Credit where it`s due...Amos 8:11-12). There might be no more exciting time to shed light, hope and happiness to a part of the world where all three things are notoriously lacking. :)

I`m excited to serve as a Missionary! So. Very. Excited. I know that Jesus Christ is the Savior of all of us and that, if we but turn our hearts to Him and use the ultimate sacrifice He so willingly provided for us, we will not only be filled with eternal happiness in the life to come, but also in this life, right now, and at this very moment. Sometimes, the world tries to instill in us the thought that our lifestyle in hope for a better next life means that we have to miss out on the joys and blessings of the NOW. But nope. Actually, following our Savior Jesus Christ is a source of INSTANT joy and happiness. The real kind. Not the counterfeit. :) I have felt the weight of my sins lifted, and I testify that it`s real and that there probably is no better feeling :) I invite you all to learn about it! The true nature of God, who is our literal Father in Heaven, and who loves us and is seeking to bless us consistently. The nature of eternal families. And the true nature of hope. :)    

Love,

Elder Friedmann :) 
  

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen